Tuesday 16 February 2010

One Independent would-be MP tells how it is for him

Why vote independent

I recently spoke to a man who was kind enough to point out that I have no chance of being elected as an MP for Dagenham & Rainham, and that people will continue to vote for Labour regardless of any policies they don’t agree with.

Of course I have no funding, no backers, no staff of consultants or advisors, but what many will see as a weakness, I see as a strength.

I only have Dagenham & Rainham to represent, I do not have another party constituency to run to, or a political career to protect.

I am doing this because I am tired of shouting at my TV, and listening to the lies of politicians. All I have is a chance, a tiny chance that somewhere in Dagenham and Rainham the voters will not stay at home, but try to make a change.

We the people know more than we give ourselves credit for. The political flyer that tells us how the party politician does, and expects us to just take their word for it.

Typically party handouts are full of statements of “against unscrupulous employers, against bad transport, against lack of affordable housing, against crime”, as if they would say anything else.

I have heard so many times the tired old line that MP’s are ‘Fighting for jobs’, or ‘Fighting for better homes’ even ‘Fighting Racism’. Well are they effective? Where are the jobs sheets?

Parties look after themselves, but seem only to be full of stating the obvious & hiding intentions. They always have questionnaires for us to give an opinion, which they only pay attention to, up to the election results.

People tell me Labour will win, that Conservatives will win, or that the BNP have a chance. I look into how elections are won, & it seems the political parties succeed more, by people NOT voting.

It seems most people always vote for the same party, & party flyers target only those things we are likely to care about in the next few months, without any long term plans being properly thought through.

I was told not to waste time on the elderly & young as they are less likely to vote. But then it was suggested I should get a press picture of me with a smiling elderly person, or photos cuddling babies next to a stage managed hospital visit, anything for a respectable image.

George Kennedy - http://justvotethemout.com/modules/edito/

Posted via web from sunwalking's posterous

No comments: